Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Love Loss in Sports

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, let’s focus on love and heartbreak; in particular, the teams that we love and the teams that have broken our hearts. Passionate sports fans can surely relate to shedding more tears over crushed championship dreams, devastating losses and terrible calls than to fictional romance novels, I know I can. Sports are real, non-fiction, and true fans live and die with their respective teams.

I grew up an Angel fan, and I have certainly cried many times at their World Series aspirations being put out. Especially in 2004 when the cursed Red Sox swept the Angels in a dominating fashion and went on to win their first championship since 1918. That pain and subsequent losses can be relieved by their magical 2002 season and the hope that another ring is in store.

On that note, I don't know how Cubs fans still continue to come to Wrigley to watch their team fall short season after season. Talk about resiliency and unconditional love! Who knew The Curse of the Billy Goat would last 65 years!

Since I'm living in San Diego, I would like to acknowledge all the grieving Charger fans. I feel your pain. To have such a good team, to be going into playoffs looking so strong, and to have Kaeding miss three field goals. On a positive note, at least you're not a Raiders fan.

By far the most heartbreaking loss I have faced occurred in the 2008 college baseball season during the Super Regionals in Baton Rouge. LSU, the heavy favorite, played UC-Irvine. UCI, a team that I have followed the past 5 years and greatly favor came out of the gate into the historic Alex Box stadium strong winning the first game 11-5. If UCI wins game 2 they will advance for the second year in a row to the College World Series. Things are looking good with UCI up 7-2 in the top of the eighth. At about this time I was booking tickets to Omaha. UCI then gives up 2 runs in the eighth. The momentum changed and LSU scored 5 runs in the ninth. The wheels fell off, and LSU won 9-7. Game 3 is something that I would love to forget. UCI lost 21-7. Let's just say that was a rough following week.

What are some of the teams, games or situations that left you with tears in your eyes?

Happy Valentine's Day, and here's to all of our favorites getting it done this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment